It might not look much in this baking tray but this dish is simply delicious and easy to prepare. I created it one lovely evening when we spontaneously invited friends to dinner. I used a colourful medley of summer vegetables, tray baked them with herbs from my garden and a touch of freshly ground spice from the pantry to create a versatile dish that can accompany grilled, barbecued or roasted fish, lamb, beef or chicken. Of course, it also makes a superb summer vegetarian dish. Just accompany with a fresh seasonal salad and crunchy buttered sourdough bread. And, if that wasn’t enough, it also makes a delicious sauce for pasta. So, keep it simple this summer and enjoy this medley of seasonal vegetables whilst they are at their best.
Buon appetito! Ciao for now. Sylvia xx
Use quantities to your own taste
1 medium firm eggplant
1 medium or 2 small zucchinis
1 yellow capsicum/pepper
1 red capsicum/pepper
Approx. 20 or more cherry tomatoes
1-2 teaspoons freshly ground coriander seeds
Handful of thyme sprigs with flower heads
3-4 garlic cloves peeled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
Line base of a high sided baking tray with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C
- Cut all the vegetables into approx. 2 cm cubes.
- Gently pierce the cherry tomatoes to avoid bursting.
- Strip the leaves off the thyme sprigs, reserving the thyme flower heads.
- Cut the garlic cloves in half lengthwise then finely slice.
- Place all the vegetables, garlic, thyme leaves, thyme flowers and ground coriander seed into a large mixing bowl.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add extra virgin olive oil and mix to coat.
- Place in the lined baking tray.
- Pop into the preheated oven. Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes till coloured.
- After which time, gently shake the tray to move the vegetables around a little.
- Bake a further 10 minutes until the vegetables just hold their shape and have a beautiful golden-brown baked colour.
- Serve garnished with finely chopped parsley.
Taste Experiment and Enjoy this dish soon!