This dish is simply delicious and easy to prepare. Similar to Ratatouille, the French stewed vegetable dish from Provence, but without the sauce. I created it one lovely evening when we spontaneously invited friends to dinner. I used a colourful medley of summer vegetables from my garden, tray baked them with herbs from my garden and a touch of freshly ground spice from the pantry to create a versatile dish that will accompany grilled, barbecued or roasted fish, lamb, beef or chicken. Of course, it also makes a superb summer, or autumn, vegetarian meal. Accompany with a fresh seasonal salad and crunchy buttered sourdough bread. And, if that wasn’t enough, it also makes a sumptuous sauce for pasta. So, keep it simple this summer/autumn and enjoy this medley of seasonal vegetables whilst they are at their best. Buon appetito! Bon appétit! Ciao for now. Sylvia xx
Use quantities to your own taste
1 medium firm eggplant
1 medium or 2 small zucchinis
1 yellow capsicum/pepper
1 red capsicum/pepper
Approx. 20 or more cherry tomatoes
1-2 teaspoons freshly ground coriander seeds
Handful of thyme sprigs with flower heads
3-4 garlic cloves peeled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
Line base of a high sided baking tray with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C
- Cut all the vegetables into approx. 2 cm cubes.
- Gently pierce the cherry tomatoes to avoid bursting.
- Strip the leaves off the thyme sprigs, reserving the thyme flower heads.
- Cut the garlic cloves in half lengthwise then finely slice.
- Place all the vegetables, garlic, thyme leaves, thyme flowers and ground coriander seed into a large mixing bowl.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add extra virgin olive oil and mix to coat.
- Place in the lined baking tray.
- Pop into the preheated oven. Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes till coloured.
- After which time, gently shake the tray to move the vegetables around a little.
- Bake a further 10 minutes until the vegetables just hold their shape and have a beautiful golden-brown baked colour.
- Serve garnished with finely chopped parsley.
Taste Experiment and Enjoy this dish soon!