Easy healthy salad for summer or autumn. I’ve scored the cucumber for an artistic look but also for a practical reason, to expose the cucumber flesh to the marinade. Greek flavours mingle with tomatoes, olives, parsley and feta. Feta is optional if you wish. Enjoy this simple summer salad with grilled fish, barbeque chicken, lamb or even a mixed grill. Have fun with this. Savour with a glass of Tassie white such as lightly wooded Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio or a Tassie red such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. Or even a glass of Italian Sangiovese or Spanish Tempranillo. Taste. Experiment. Enjoy! Sylvia xx
INGREDIENTS Serves 4-6
½ to 1 medium cucumber
2 medium tomatoes or handful of cherry tomatoes (a variety of colours are pleasing to the eye)
1/4 red onion finely chopped (optional)
6-8 Tasmanian Kalamata Olives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-2 Tbsp of crumbled feta (optional)
Extra virgin olive oil
- Use a citrus zester to run down the sides of the cucumber to reveal strips. Compost the resulting strip peelings.
- Cut the cucumber into 0.5cm slices then half. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half, medium ones in quarters. Place in the mixing bowl with the cucumber. Add onion if using.
- Remove the stones from the olives and cut into quarters lengthwise. Place in the bowl.
- Pick off parsley leaves and place in bowl. Roughly chop about a tablespoon of parsley. Add to the bowl.
- Season the ingredients with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Dress with extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix the dressing through with your hands and place in a serving bowl.
- Dress with crumbled feta (optional) and serve. Simple!