Many people request to know my secrets to a simple salad dressing. Finally, I have been able to write and publish it for you here and I hope you enjoy this velvety vinaigrette using honey from Honey Tasmania and any Tasmanian extra virgin olive oil. It’s a light and flavoursome salad dressing that is simple to prepare and keep on hand in the fridge. The secret is to always use a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil. Add your favourite flavourings and you’re done. Simple! Sylvia x
1 Tablespoon red wine or white wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2-3 teaspoons Dijon or grain mustard (or 50:50 mix)
2-3 teaspoons mild honey or raw caster sugar (or 50:50 mix)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives or parsley (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
(The dressing jug in my photo comes from Tasmanian Hotel and Catering Supplies)
- In a medium measuring jug with spout mix together:
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar.
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Add Dijon and/or grain mustard.
- Add caster sugar and/or honey.
- Add finely chopped herbs if using.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Shake, mix or whisk thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, mustard, sugar/honey, oil or vinegar if necessary or to your own taste.
- Pour into serving jar or fancy dressing bottle as in the photo.
- Keeps for about 3-4 weeks in the warmer/top part of the fridge.
- Take out of the fridge 5-10 minutes before using to allow the oil to soften/liquefy.
- Give it a good shake and dress your salad to taste. Easy!
Note on Adding Herbs
If you wish to add finely chopped fresh herbs to the vinaigrette it is best used fresh and within a week or two. The vinaigrette keeps longer if no fresh herbs are added. You can always add finely chopped chives, parsley leaves or any other soft leaf herb to lovely fresh lettuce leaves in salad bowl before dressing with the vinaigrette. Taste. Experiment. Enjoy!