I first made these Anzac Biscuits in 1988 based on a recipe in a clipping from The Adelaide Advertiser on 20 April 1988 when Margaret Kirkwood was writing the Cuisine pages and have been baking them ever since adding my own special touch over the years. The result is quite a different recipe that includes my unique style of adding a pinch of spice here and there and can be baked as either a chewy or crisp textured biscuit. I have also used less sugar and mostly organic/spray free ingredients and a ratio of 4 parts organic light flour to 1 part wholemeal flour, from Callington Mill Tasmania, for flavour, nutrition and texture. The biscuits above are served on a glass platter made by my husband. I hope you enjoy baking these delicious Anzac Biscuits. Sylvia xx
INGREDIENTS Makes 30-35 biscuits
100g organic plain flour (refer preamble above)
20g organic self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon salt
120g organic rolled oats
80g-90g granulated organic raw sugar
80g-90g desiccated organic coconut
¼ teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
125g unsalted butter
50g golden syrup
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2-3 Tablespoon boiling water
Preheat oven 160°C (conventional) 150°C (convection). Line several baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift the flours with the salt into a large mixing bowl. Add rolled oats, sugar, coconut and spices. Dry whisk to combine and make a well in the centre.
- Place the butter and golden syrup into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until melted.
- In a small cup mix bicarbonate of soda with the boiling water. Add to the melted butter mixture then add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix well with a large spoon until all ingredients are well combined.
- Without delay, use a teaspoon to place 12g-15g-20g balls of biscuit mixture onto lined baking trays. Allow room for spreading.
- For chewy centre biscuits, gently flatten with a fork. For crisper biscuits, firmly flatten with a fork. Dip the fork into water to aid flattening.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the biscuits are a lovely dark golden colour.
- Remove from the oven. Leave on trays to cool a little before placing on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy on Anzac Day and beyond. Try stopping at just one! And try crumbling them over vanilla ice cream!
Taste. Experiment. Enjoy!