Galette is the French term for a sweet or savoury open pie or flat cake usually made using a butter rich pastry such as puff pastry. It is simple, rustic, informal and versatile and provides a base for a variety of sweet and savoury seasonal fillings. For a sweet treat, here I have used figs and honey to create an easy dessert dish. I just love figs and always bake this whenever I can get my hands on plump ripe local figs. For a savoury dish, try using the Baked Pumpkin with Sage Garlic & Chilli which can easily be adapted into the Galette and served as a lunch or supper meal with salad. Read below for more sweet and savoury inspiration. Let your imagination be your guide and keep it fresh and seasonal. A luscious sweet Botrytis Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc or a fresh and aromatic Moscato D’Asti would accompany this dessert well. Any number of wines could accompany any number of savoury fillings. Taste. Experiment. Enjoy! Sylvia xx
INGREDIENTS Serves 6-8
Bake on a 30cm circular pizza tray lined with baking paper
250-300g Puff pastry or 1 sheet of Puff pastry cut to fit the pizza tray
Fig jam or jam of your choice
8-10 figs thinly sliced lengthwise
Leatherwood honey or honey of your choice
Crème fraiche, Chantilly cream (vanilla whipped cream) or vanilla bean ice-cream to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C (convection oven/full fan) or 220°C (conventional oven)
- If using block pastry, roll it out on a well floured bench to about 35cm diameter and 5mm thick. Cut pastry to fit the circular pizza tray.
- Carefully place the pastry onto the lined pizza tray and spread with jam.
- Then place the slices of figs overlapping each other working from the outside of the pastry inwards towards the centre leaving an outside border of about 4cm.
- Drizzle over some honey on top of the figs, then fold the pastry edge over the fruit. Don’t be too fussy about presentation as this is a rustic country dish.
- Place in preheated oven to bake for approx. 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 180°C (convection oven/full fan) or 200°C (conventional oven) and bake a further 10-12 minutes until the pastry has a golden brown glow and the fruit is just soft and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little on a cooling rack.
- Slice and serve with a dollop of crème fraiche, Chantilly cream or vanilla bean ice cream. Enjoy!
SEASONAL INSPIRATION – LET YOUR IMAGINATION RUN WILD
For Sweet Galette try: plums, cherries, apricots, thinly sliced apples, pear, peach, rhubarb, blackberries, blueberries or any fruit in season.
For Savoury Galette try: tomato, basil and goat’s cheese or char-grilled zucchini, garlic, ricotta and oregano or feta, olives and rosemary or wilted chard/silverbeet/kale/spinach, ricotta, thyme and Parmesan … eggplant … sweet potato … mushroooms … the list goes on!
Updated 29 April 2022