This beautiful chicken dish especially created to match the award winning Brady’s Lookout Tasmanian Premium Cuvée Cider, is inspired by French country cuisine. I have tried to capture the flavours of Normandy where cider is a specialty. Here I combine the delicate aromatic flavour of tarragon with their Premium Cuvée Cider which adds a note of fresh apple fruitiness to the delicious creamy sauce. Serve with diced apples cooked in butter until golden, a bowl of baby potatoes rolled in finely chopped soft herbs, a salad and a glass of their vintage Premium Cuvée Cider.
INGREDIENTS Serves 4
4 Tasmanian chicken supreme breast portions with skin on and wing bone attached
80g unsalted softened butter
1 ½ teaspoons of each: finely chopped tarragon, parsley and chives
2 garlic cloves minced
Salt, freshly ground black pepper, lemon juice to taste
Olive oil and a knob butter
250ml Brady’s Lookout Premium Cuvée Cider
250ml chicken stock
10 baby leeks, washed, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
3 Tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon butter, ½ teaspoon salt to cook the leeks
80ml cream, 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard, lemon juice to taste
4 sprigs tarragon to garnish
3 Gala apples peeled and diced. Cook in butter until golden. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix butter, tarragon, parsley, chives, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice until well combined. Set aside.
- Simmer water, butter and salt in a frypan. Add leeks and gently cook until soft. Cool. Set aside.
- Season chicken. Make an incision in the breast meat. Place herb butter inside and underneath the skin.
- Heat a large oven proof frypan/casserole on medium heat. Add 3 teaspoons olive oil and a knob of butter.
- Place chicken skin side down, cook until golden. Turn chicken over and cook the meat side.
- Remove excess fat. Deglaze with cider, bring to the boil. Add chicken stock and boil. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove from oven, set the chicken aside to rest in a warm place.
- Strain pan juices of any solids. Return to the frypan. Whisk in cream and mustard. Simmer to a sauce consistency.
- To serve, decoratively place the leeks on plates. Slice chicken and place on top. Spoon sauce around the chicken. Garnish with diced cooked apple and a sprig of tarragon.
- Accompany with steamed potatoes rolled in chopped herbs, vegetables or salad and celebrate with a glass of award winning Brady’s Lookout Tasmanian Premium Cuvée Cider!